Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Peggy's Quilt


Back at the beginning of November, when I was telling the ladies in That Stash Bee what I wanted them to make for my month, I said that there was a chance I would be using those blocks to make a quilt for my mother-in-law. Well, after seeing a few of the blocks they made I knew that I wouldn't be giving that quilt away. So instead she'll be getting this one.


I was very much inspired by this quilt by Allison of Cluck, Cluck, Sew. I feel like I say that a lot. She really does make some beautiful quilts! To make the blocks, I just used four 3.5" squares of Kona White, two 3.5" squares of my print, and one 3.5"x9.5" rectangle of my print. After laying out the blocks how I wanted them, I added a 3.5"x9.5" rectangle of Kona White between the blocks where it was needed to offset the rows. The finished quilt is roughly 63" square. My MIL is fairly short so I figure that's a good lap size quilt for her.


I wanted to make this quilt with a flannel backing so this grey herringbone sheet from Target was perfect. This is another one that I took to my mom's to quilt and as you can see I didn't do the most perfect job on the quilting, especially as I got close to the edge. But, it's good enough for me. I used a stripey Denise Schmidt binding that I've had in my stash for a couple of years and was seriously doubting that I would ever find a use for it. Glad I finally did!




11 comments:

  1. It is a beautiful quilt, a lovely present! I wish you and yours the very best for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love plus quilts. A beautiful finish. Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this quilt. I'm sure your MIL will be thrilled. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heh, well at least she got something, and it looks great too :oD

    Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmm. Just as we predicted, huh? ;-) This one's lovely - I like it alot!! Merry Christmas, Toni!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a beautiful quilt Toni! I hope she loves it. I love plus quilts at the moment. I intend to make one in the new year for my new niece or nephew due in Feb. hope you had a Merry Christmas! We had a lovely day with my family, and are at my in laws now, celebrating Christmas with them on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't blame you for holding on to the blocks! I'm guessing your MIL was thrilled with the quilt. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have always wanted to make a quilt like this, was it easy?

    ReplyDelete
  9. fantastic post. Neer knew this, regards for letting me know.
    Hey! I visit your site regularly, but your blog doesn't load on my Ipad. Could your firewall block my IP? Many thanks!

    Top Ten Web Hosting Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! The colors are great. The simplicity of the design makes it stand out and I think the quilting looks great. I'm wishing my mom had a long-arm because my quilt tops are stacking up and my will to free-motion them is nonexistent... I need to find a long-armed :) friend to help me out...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Healing Buddha, an energy healing haven headquartered in Bangalore, unveils its oasis of holistic well-being. Through personalized energy treatments, founders Ritu and Manish share their passion for healing and transformation.
    healingbuddha

    ReplyDelete